Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Tuesday, 2 February 2010

Cordite


This morning I had a quick look just below the strand line at Margate, for those familiar with Margate I looked at the small black patches that consist mainly of small pieces of sea coal that form when the wind blows in off the sea. Not really much to look at but it is the hot spot for amber and small sticks of brown cordite in that area.
Without fail I managed to find a few small sticks of cordite. The origins of the cordite are from second world war munitions that have ended in the sea , even after all those years it is still highly flammable when lit with a match. It burns with a bright yellow flame and is incredibly smelly, however it is great to have fun with. I can recall many years ago we used to put a small piece in some of the other fisherman's cigarettes in Ship Inn at Margate as they left the packet on the bar to go to the toilet. The loaded cigarette was placed back in the packet and it was like a game of Russian roulette waiting for them to light the cigarette which would flare up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to go find that a few years ago, wrapped up tight in tin foil would make great little rockets !

Tony Beachcomber said...

Annon, I am glad you metioned that. I was afraid that if I did I would be branded a terrorist.

Anonymous said...

My dad used to talk about finding cordite on Joss Bay when he was a boy, which would've been in the 1930s.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant site, I had not noticed thanetcoastlife.blogspot.com earlier during my searches!
Continue the good work!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at thanetcoastlife.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Harry

Anonymous said...

hi fella, my kids and i have been looking for some cordite for ages. and we havent found any. i promised them cordite rockets and its not been going to well. after months we havent found any at all, where is best to look ? any tips for finding some, were clearly looking inthe wrong place.