Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Saturday, 27 February 2010

Coastal round up.

The weather forecast for beachcombing looks very promising especially on top the predicted big midday tides this week. With the wind predictions ranging from SS East, North, S West and East and some good low waters. I am expecting a week of some good finds for my collection of the coast with my primary target being oyster shell formations from Margate, Westgate and Birchington.
This month has been good and the cold weather has not been a barrier. The finds of Lesser Spotted Dogfish egg cases and Thornback Ray egg cases (mermaid purses) on the strandline have been good as I have had the patience in this cold weather to count every single one. With this year has being the first year I have recorded such finds being part of the Thanet Coast Project which is Thanet District Council sponsored.
March in the past has always been good for Amber , with my two main hot spots being the Western Undercliff when the wind is in the South and Walpole Bay when the wind is in the North. With the few encouraging finds in February I am expecting to do well.
February was also good for the tiny European Cowries amongst the sea coal. They are no bigger that 10mm and are white in appearance and are nowhere as exotic as there tropical cousins but they are just as interesting.
However, my aim will be to build up on my collection of oyster shell formations from the stretch of rock from Margate to Birchington being the ideal place. and throughout the week I will post my more relevant finds.

No comments: