Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Monday, 1 February 2010

Coastal round up

On tuesday and wednesday the early morning low tides are going to be exceptional which will be an idea time to map out my new terrritory by taking low water photographs and notes etc.,. This will be entirely for my own records and not the actions of some old tom cat arriving on the scene, as my objective will be to start a new collection from Ramsgate main sands as from this month. Hopefully the weather will be bitter cold with a touch of north in the wind which always garuntees a find worth keeping. Previous finds from the area have been a piece of a crashed spitfire from the war and a piece of human vertabrae that come ashore from the tide.
This winter so far has really had an huge impact on the Velvet swimmer crab and Tony sykes informs me that in the recent cold spell 30,000 may have perished. I often think of other incidents when weather conditions have had a impact on our marine environment. The first event that comes to mind was the aftermath of a storm in November 1973 when hundreds of thousands of cockles were washed up on the shingle at Minnis Bay. A thin white line was visable from Birchington to Reculver resulting in most of the cockles being stranded and dying. The smell was unbelievable and like all natural disasters the seagulls were the main beneficary. Today I suppose that if such as incident was to happen I am sure there will be enough volunteers avaible to at least save some of the cockles by returning them to the water. At the time I did bring back a bucket of cockles on my bicycle from Minnis Bay and put them in the tidal pool on the main sands at Margate where a colony has remained ever since.
Tomorrow I will be seeing someone from the Marine Studios who are after some exhibits for a Marine exhibition. Hopefully they will display some of my finds from the layers of history from the Margate main sands bays which I have picked up over the years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Hope for your sake the wind is not in the north if it is you will not get much of a ebb a fresh southwesterly may do the trick best of luck with your searches

Tony Beachcomber said...

Anon, thanks for that you are right, I was thinking of Margate,