Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Sunday, 1 November 2009

"Should the Kaiser come"




Like most people I spent today pottering about the house, my job for today was to sort through archive which I have stored in the loft to decide which can go and what will stay while occasionally reading the odd item that took my interest. One article that caught my eye was one written by local historian John Williams on the subject of the First World War titled "Should the Kaiser come". It appears from the article which is for down loading that the Borough of Margate Town Council had put in place a plan to evacuate Margate in 1915 in the event of a invasion by the Kaiser's forces, something not many people are aware of.

2 comments:

Richard Eastcliff said...

Looking at the map, are you sure it hasn't been taken from TDC's latest 'masterplan'?

Tony Beachcomber said...

Very good, ECR