Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Tuesday, 28 July 2009

One log or two ?









As it was a nice day on Sunday I decided to give Sandwich Bay a look to just see what I could find on the tide line. Of all the bays and all the beaches, Sandwich Bay has always constantly turned up nearly a historical find every trip . I suppose with the Goodwin Sands just off the coast and loaded with over one thousand wrecks it is hardly surprising. Sandwich Bay without doubt is my number one spot for finding maritime artifacts by far. Even with the relatively mild weather we are currently experiencing, items still come ashore on the tide like this large piece of timber pile on the tide line of which I have taken a picture of.
On these trips I specifically look for lost fisherman's nets that have rolled up and been washed ashore , the objective being to find anything the net has picked up off the sea bed. The net pictured has a large lump of encrusted iron that has been dragged ashore with the net. A tap with a club hammer normally loosens off the concretion to reveal whatever the item is. In most cases it could be maritime, military or even junk, but on that day I forgot to bring my hammer so I just let it be. In the past I have found some interesting things in rolled up nets like copper boat rivets, marine fittings, iron fittings and pieces of aircraft . Take it from me it is always worth a rummage when a ball of net is ashore. Also pictured is a piece of aircraft I found which I believe came from a dig in 1999 to recover some engines and other aircraft parts from a B24 Liberator that had ditched on the Sandwich flats during the Second World War. When the dig took place in 1999 mechanical equipment was used to recover the engines resulting in a debris trail in the bay of which most of the small bits can still be found today. Others finds included the abundance of sea coal generally associated with Sandwich Bay and a piece of copper sheathing or tingle from a wooden sailing vessel. Copper sheathing was often used to inhibit the growth of barnacles and weed on the hull of wooden sailing ships as this growth often slowed down sailing vessels on long voyages. A copper hull was also easier to scrape off the growth. Copper tingle was used on smaller vessels as part of a repair to damaged hull or often used to protect a part of the hull prone to damage.

2 comments:

ascu75 aka Don said...

Shame on you forgetting to take a hammer.......... I love reading your blog its always so interesting and a breath of fresh air , I look forward to your next trip out . Don

Tony Beachcomber said...

Don, That's what I thought how could I forget a daity little thing like a club hammer. Anyway there is plenty more fish in the sea.