Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Sunday, 21 June 2009

Old Town Margate - Market Place fire 1905

















There are any accounts of the fire of the 23rd January 1905 at the Market Place , Margate in which P.C John Rolfe died. This article by Chris Sandwell for the Margate Historical Society Vol 9 No 2 (Summer 2006) is one of the most detailed of the tragic event.

Below is a picture of George Mence Smith's shop from around 1883/84 as featured earlier from the collection of Tony Lee.

3 comments:

ascu75 aka Don said...

cheers Tony another lot for my collection

Tony Beachcomber said...

Don, I have just completed a week of night's so it is back to full production on the blog this week, plus I have some more photographs in the pipeline.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tony.
It is great to ba able to read an acount of the fire at the George Mence Smith shop.
GMS was my 3 x great Uncle by marriage and I am compiling as much information about him as I can so that one day I may put it all in writing.
Thanks again.
Rona.