Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Wednesday, 17 June 2009

Old Town Margate - Love Lane









My good friend Cllr Iris Johnston has asked me for some information on the Old Town of Margate. Iris as we all know is working closely with the old town action group with her colleague Cllr John Watkins. As this is a community sort of project I will put the info I have on my blog so it can be shared and people can make contributions, please feel free to copy and reproduce. I am starting with Love Lane as shown in this picture taken in 1953, on the left is Sam Read's scrapyard and over the road surrounded by corrugated iron was where he stored his scrap iron. To the right is the Love Lane Hotel built in 1857. On the corner is the back of the Crown Hotel, Broad Street and directly ahead is R.G Scott & Sons the locally famous pork butchers.
I have included some notes below by Dr Alan Kay for further research. The Mansion article is a bonus.



































8 comments:

Jeremy Jacobs said...

Excellent post Tony. Can't Iris have a chat with the Margate Civic Society?

ascu75 aka Don said...

nice one Tony

Tony Beachcomber said...

Jeremy,
Iris is a member of the Civic Society and she is asking around.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing photo, I remember going into Scotts as a child, my Mum and Dad (marie & Jack Hand) had the Queens Head Hotel just round the corner at the time. If anyone remembers them (Mum is still with us living in Spain) contact me on trudileach@yahoo.co.uk

nellenaellen said...

I lived in margate 1947-1987.
i remember scott's the butchers. They had the most amazingly tasting savoloys.
a childhood memory that will last forever.

Anonymous said...

Thank you to all of you - Scott's is the name I've been searching for for years! I have a strong recollection of going with my Mum to the Market Place area, I must've been around 3 or 4 at the most, which would make it 1968 or 69, and smelling saveloys. Whenever I smell smoked meats, it brings this image back. It's such a poignant memory, one of just a few, (and she died young) that stuck with me. I've often wondered the name and location of that butcher shop was, only having a general feeling of being somewhere in the old Market Place. I remember sitting on some stone steps waiting nearby, too.Thanks for the clarification - nice work!

Anonymous said...

I've just found this link on the web, having searched for the elusive 'Flead Cake' that I remember having as a child (the mid to late 60's). I too remember the Saveloys vividly, but wonder did Scotts sell the Flead cakes too? My dad, still with us and living in Broadstairs thinks that we may have bought them from a bakery in Ramsgate?

John Guild said...

Yes they did used to sell flead cakes my dad worked at Scott's for over 20 years right up til they shut he used to make the sausages and was also head slaughterman at their slaughterhouse in new street.