Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Thursday, 11 June 2009

Old Margate Pubs - The Royal Oak


Following on from yesterday's posting of the picture of the pre first world war "Star Inn" , Margate High Street. This photograph was taken about sixty years later of the "Royal Oak" which was down the road at 143 High Street, Margate. Like all buildings on that side of the road it was demolished as part of a road widening scheme and the building of Sheen Court.
Studying the detail, the boarded up building next door has posters advertising the sale of damaged goods from the Hippodrome.
This photograph is from the collection of Mick Twyman and is part of the Margate Historical Society archive and is for downloading.

4 comments:

ascu75 aka Don said...

Tony I dont know of these pubs but it is interesting to see the piccies of a long gone era thanks .....Don

Tony Beachcomber said...

Don, I starting to think I may be getting too much in depth covering areas of local History that suit Historians instead for people who have a passing interest in our heritage.

Dave said...

Don, these photos are only 44 years old, taken in 1965...i.e. the year I was BORN. Less of the long ago era please!!!

Anonymous said...

I too am from the long ago era..bron 1965. I remember shopping down the High St. with my mum, and I'm trying to place the name of a pub that was set back a little from the road, in the middle-top section of the High Street - almost across from the old fishmongers. I remember my mum poring over the fish while I'd be torn between that (it alwasy smelled so good!) and watching people having fun across the road at that pub...I still remember the hoppy smell...and still drink hoppy ales over here in the US! Was the pub a figment of my imagination - I think some electrical shop may have taken it's place in the 70's or early 80's. Terrible shame. Help remembering would be appreciated!