Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Wednesday, 10 June 2009

Market Place, Margate 1883 - 84


This picture is from the south side of the Margate Place, Margate dated around 1883-84 and is from the collection of Anthony Lee who I would like to thank for sharing it with us.
The shops shown match those listed in the Isle of Thanet directory 1883-84 and they are as follows.
Market Place
18. George M Smith , oil and colourman
19. Gegan & Niblett , pawnbrokers
20. W.S Harvey, dispensing chemist
Market Street
1.Thomas Goodyear, grocer

2 comments:

Suzannah Foad said...

George Mence Smith's name is in black and white mosaics, still visable as you walk through the doorway of number 18 Market Place today .

DAVE said...

I am the 3 x great niece of George Mence Smith.
Would it be possible for someone to take a photo of the mosaic of his name for me, please?
I would be really grateful.
Keeping my fingers crossed.