Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Monday, 1 June 2009

Harriet Wellard

I have received this enquiry below regarding a Harriet Wellard a former councillor or Mayoress ? The obvious line of research would be to look up a obituary in the local papers at the Margate Museum. As that cannot be done, has anybody out there got any information that may help.


"In the absence of the Margate Museum, I wonder if you would know where I could find information about a Harriet Wellard, who I am lead to believe was either a Margate Councillor, or Lady Mayoress of Margate. She was born in 1868, and died in 1956. From the early 1920's until her death, she lived at 28 Tivoli Road Margate.
I have spoken to the Mayor parlour, who could give me details of the recent councillors, and a list of Mayor since the inception of the Borough of Margate. I have spoken to TDC, who thought the information would be in the Margate Museum, but try the Library. At the end of the day, all fingers point to the Museum! Are documents accessible?
The history behind Harriet is just a family story / myth that I would like to either confirm, or disprove.
Any help grateful received."

4 comments:

ascu75 aka Don said...

Any news on movement about Margate Museum Tony ?

Anonymous said...

Margate Library has all the old newspapers covering this period. Library staff might be willing to do a search for someone living a long way away - suggest your correspondent gives the local studies library a ring.

Tony Beachcomber said...

Thnaks, annon I will pass it on.

David Lee said...

You could try a nice young lady called Suzannah Foad (Margate Family History)
She can by found at
margatehistory@hotmail.com
Very knowledgable on Margate and helped me get back to the 1600's on my Margate family.