Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Tuesday, 26 May 2009

World War 2 plane crash at Margate Railway Station.

John Williams aviation historian of the Margate Historical Society has supplied me with some information of a plane crash at Margate Railway Station during the second world war that some readers may find interesting.



On 26th June 1944 a Mosquito Mk VI (NS880) of 605 Squadron (UP/RAL) returning to RAF Manston was flying at around 1000 feet when it was seen to be breaking up and fall to the ground in flames around Margate Railway Station. The bodies of the pilot Flt Lieutenant John Reid DFM service number 128102 (age 23) and Navigator Pilot Officer Roy Edgar Phillips service number 176751 were recovered from the crash site.



John has also supplied me with details of a American B17F-BO of the 301 st bomb group of 419th Squadron ditching in the sea one mile off North Foreland on 26th June 1944 . All the crew were rescued. I have attached the details below.



1 comment:

Norman Southam said...

Hi There, I literally just found this page. This aircraft was piloted by my uncle John (Jackie) Reid..he was my mothers brother. I've been trying to find some info about the actual crash site, and no one that I have been in touch with has managed to give me any. The consensus of opinion as to the cause of the crash is, the night before the aircraft had been shot up by flak, and Jackie and co pilot Philips were up night testing, it seems there had been some damage to the oxygen cilynder, and this exploded while in the air.
All the very best.

Norman Southam.