Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Thursday, 7 May 2009

The loss of the Albion


In the Ramsgate Maritime Museum there is a cabinet dedicated to the ships of the English East India Company with items recovered from the wrecks off the Thanet coast. So far I have found details of ten wrecks and one of the oldest being the "Albion" lost on the Long Sand Head 15th January 1765. I have added a copy of a chart to give some idea where the Long Sands is.
The East Indiaman "Albion" was built in 1762 and was on a voyage from London to Madras when the ship was lost with a cargo of 47 chests of Silver, coin and plate plus a general cargo also including 884 lead ingots weighing 165lbs each and a cargo of coloured glass ingots. None of the crew of 99 and the Captain W.Larkins was lost .
The following salvage operation recovered half of the lead ingots and 46 of the 47 chest of silver. So what happened to the missing chest of silver we will never know, but when the "Active" was lost in 1803 off the Nayland Rock all the silver was recovered from that wreck except one chest which does indicate that failure to locate all the silver must be a local trait by all accounts.
Back to the 21st Century, the Ramsgate Maritime museum does have some wreck items recovered from the "Albion" incluiding a fine collection of glass ingots.

4 comments:

ascu75 aka Don said...

The map shows how many sands there are to get round .......... strange how they never manage to find the last box hmmmmmmm

Tony Beachcomber said...

Hello Don, you are the only one that makes a comment these days, perhaps I ought get a bit controversial and upset someone to get some responses.

Peter Checksfield said...

Tony, I might not comment often, but I can assure you that I still eagerly read every post on here. : )

Michael Child said...

Tony me too trouble is I don’t get enough time to comment as much as I would like, I just about get time to respond to most of the comments on my own blog, but keep up the good work and I will try to put up the occasional coherent comment.

As it is I am writing this with my two rather excitable 7 year olds present.