Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Wednesday, 27 May 2009

A little stroll on the Beach




In these troubled times I couldn't think of anything more relaxing than a walk on the beach. It is made especially interesting that our beaches are full of so much history waiting to be discovered and most of all it is free.
Many collections can be built up by the patient eagle eyed beachcomber and one of my favourites is picking up small shards of earthenware bearing names and motifs, something I did when my boys were small. The hot spots being the main beaches of Thanet which were frequented by over two hundred years of visitors, events and maritime activity.
Finding shards of earthenware is so easy, it is just a matter of walking on the wet sand below the high water mark and just follow your instincts. Above are two pictures from my collection of shards bearing the names of paddle steamers companies that used Margate Harbour. Both are from the 1890's and were found amongst the shingle at the entrance to Margate Harbour. The black and white piece is from a tea cup of the Victoria Steamboat Association and the other is from a plate of the New Palace Steamers Ltd.

3 comments:

Michael Child said...

Hi sorry to go off thread I have set up a new blog http://thanetpress.blogspot.com/ and would appreciate it if you would link to it as I have done to yours, it is to be exclusively for publishing local press releases with proper feeds.

I won’t be publishing anything that isn’t mainstream it will be TDC and the main local politicians press releases only.

Tony Beachcomber said...

Michael,

You have smooth talked me into it, consider it done.

Michael Child said...

Thanks Tony