Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Thursday, 21 May 2009

Eastcliff Spitfire Crash more info

Following my previous posting I now have a source of further information. A Frank H.Zieglar was an intelligence officer posted to 609 squadron from January 1941 to 1945. In 1993 Crecy books published a book by Frank Zieglar titled "The story of 609 squadron under the white rose"ISBN O 947554 29 7. The incident relating to Seargant Guy Alexander Chesnut crashing his spitfire on 11th June 1941 at Ramsgate is mentioned on page 200.

"Sergeant. Chesnut - one of a pair of Canadians ( the other was Ken Laing) who had recently arrived. Hit in the engine over the Channel he tried to stretch his glide over the Ramsgate cliffs- and failed to do so by a few feet"

I do not know where the crash site is but the spitfire was obviously smashed to pieces but it does raise a question what the pilot was trying to do flying at a low altitude with no power in a built up area. There could be a possibility he was badly wounded, something we will never know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I begin on internet with a directory

Anita Dawes said...

I spent most of my childhood in Margate and Birchington. I was once told about an aircraft that crashed into Margate harbour, creating a massive crater that was still cordonned off by marker buoys when I was there. Is this true and what exactly happened?
Anita