Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Wednesday, 8 April 2009

The Picasso of the Pier















During most of the summer of 2003 I spent most of my spare time researching some of the gaps in our seaside heritage not covered by the Margate Museum for their archives . One subject I looked into was the post war kiss me quick era and the subject I took on was comic postcards and the work of Donald McGill , the infamous comic postcard artist. During that time I built up a large collection of comic postcards purchasing cards from the old seaside resorts of Brighton, Hastings, Cleethorpes plus a visit to Grimsby. I donated many postcards to the Margate Museum which prompted the Museum to start their own collection and archive on the subject.
I produced two articles for the Margate Historical Society
which are for downloading, later in a follow up article below I found out there actually was a prosecution under the obscene publications act that did take place in Margate over the comic postcards in 1953.
NB .Even today some of the original late 1960's comic postcards from the Pedro series are on sale in the gift shop on Ramsgate seafront .




2 comments:

ascu75 aka Don said...

Just found your post via twitter

ascu75 aka Don said...

just read your post via my eyes .......... how times have changed shame we cant see the Margate museum collection ....... still come the revolution comrades