Stormy Margate

Stormy Margate

Tuesday, 28 April 2009

Lost Archive













Many many years ago I was approached by someone who had in their possession two Coastguard lookout logs one for the Kingsgate lookout and one for the Margate lookout. Both were saved from the bonfire. The Kingsgate log was from 1928 to 1956 excluding the war years and the Margate log was from 1928 to 1956 incluiding the war years. I had the logs for 24hours to read them, but it was more of a case of down the Library and copying at 10 pence a go until my money ran out . As Margate maritime history is better documented than Kingsgate maritime history as Margate has RNLI records. I copied the Kingsgate log first and completed it, as for Margate I did the wartime pages until my money ran out. The next day the owner took the books back and they have never been seen since.


The logs do not go into detail but they are accurate eye witness accounts of the events that happened like the two wartime incidents below, one at Birchington and the other out at sea off Margate. I gave all my master copies to the Margate Museum archive and distributed further copies to my historical band of brothers. I have given a copy of the Kingsgate log to Micheal to use if he does something on Kingsgate in the future.


If anyone would like information from the Kingsgate log please email me.
















2 comments:

ascu75 aka Don said...

As usual local history is great shame we cant have a museum or two that we could visit to see this type of stuff

Tony Beachcomber said...

The problem Don, is that newly researched is now circulating amongst the few and not the masses.