This postcard dated 1904 is a very artistic view of Fort Lodge and Fort Paragon overlooking Fort Green bandstand the present day site of the Winter Gardens. In 1830 John Woodward senior, a local builder commenced building the Fort Paragon Terrace at right angle from the Cliff. This was to take advantage of the opening of the Clifton baths. Later this terrace block as pictured in the postcard become the Fort Paragon Hotel opening only during the tourist season. Due to difficulties competing against luxury hotels which led to bankruptcies in 1908,1912 an 1921 the Hotel was eventually converted into individual houses and flats. Fort Lodge as a popular Hotel lasted longer into the 21st century, even though Fort Lodge was upgraded a few years ago with TDC tourism grants the Hotel was controversially converted into flats ending a era of Hotels in that part of Margate.