Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Wednesday, 11 February 2009

The arguements for and against the railway to Margate 1846




With all the different opinions occupying Blogspace over Manston Airport I just happen to come across some research by the late Alan Kay published November 1998. It did make me smile as it was his findings on the arguments for and against the railways coming to Margate.
Reading the article I have attached for downloading I do wonder what future generations will think of current events and opinions regarding Manston in 160 years time.

3 comments:

ascu75 aka Don said...

You mean to say that when this was published there was no Michaels bookshop can anybody remember such times

Peter Checksfield said...

Interesting stuff as always Tony! Presumably this was the railway that terminated where Arlington House now is (or very nearby). I tried following the line recently to work out where it went, but the trail goes cold beyond Nash Road as far as I can tell.

Got any old pics / maps / historical accounts of Manston before the airport was built? I'm intrigued by what was there (presumably roads went through the area judging by the way Manston High Street now ends).

Tony Beachcomber said...

Peter, When I worked for a short period at Pearce signs there some railway track in the concrete in the car park at the back. Also on the corner of Star Lane and Nash Road the house where the gate crossing keeper lived is still there.
Unfortunatly, I have very little on Manston.