Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Saturday, 3 January 2009

Turner shipwreck found ?





This painting by Turner is something to be admired and the ship wreck on the left is certainly of interest. Firstly, the view has been taken from the Nayland Rock with Margate Harbour and Hooper's Mill visible on the horizon. Close to the location where the veiw of the painting today there is a gulley that has a familiar shape, which is the outline of a sailing vessel. This morning I photographed the gulleyand ribs. It is situated on the Margate side of the Nayland Rock and the location is identifiable by one of the Nayland beacon posts on the left. Today was a neap tide so the gulley did not drain, but in the gulley covered by water is the ribs of a sailing vessel similar to the size that would match the ship wreck in the picture. I have tried to take a picture and the out line of the ribs is visible plus part of the keel structure.
At spring tides the gulley does drain out and the ribs are better exposed, considering the remains of the stumps of the Jarvis landing stage (1824) are still with us. Could it be possible that the remains of the shipwreck be the same as in the picture as the location is about right. Well worth further investigation do you agree ?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fascinating. I read this blog with real interest, it often leaves me gobsmacked! The gulley isn't something I'd recognise, to me its nothing but when you point this stuff out and the history that provides the evidence I'm left wondering!

ascu75 aka Don said...

Cheers Tony you realy are a bit of a Sherlock Holmes arent you? I had never seen that Turner painting before . I love his works and I for one cant wait for the Turner Contemporary to be finished. I know we wont see many if any of his works but I am still excited by the whole thing. Keep up the good work I love your collection of information maybe some time I can see some of it for real. Don

Tony Beachcomber said...

Annon 23:16, unfortunately it not a 100% certain as they is very little information on the shipwreck in Turners picture. Plus there is another candidate which is remains of a November 1877 storm wreck. The good thing is that nothing can be ruled out so we are left wondering.

Tony Beachcomber said...

Don, the Margate Museum research facility is still available to the public. Bob and Suzannah are always available to help with enquiries. If you find my stuff interesting the information they have will blow your mind.