The Queens hotel as many people remember it, the Queens Hotel was founded in 1885 and was an amalgamation of the Queen's Highcliff Hotel and Kimber's Hotels, then further augmented by the Dalmeny Hotel foremerly St Cecilia's Ladies College. Together this almalgamation formed a 150 bed complex. The postcard above is a early 1960's view under the Bulins ownership.
The coloured postcard postmarked May 1908 is of the Queens Highcliff and is titled Highcliff Hotels. Below the cliff is the Pettman Bathing platform at Newgate Gap. It is interesting that this postcard has the town crest, because at the time permission was needed from the Borough of Margate to use the crest for commercial use. Today the Margate Charter Trusttees are the custodians of the town crest.
The Clitonville Hotel with the Queens highcliff in the background. The Cliftonville Hotel was established in 1868. The Hotel enjoyed great success up until the First World War and during the early part of this period the name Cliftonville was adopted for the area.
The postcard of the Cliftonville Hydro Hotel proudly flying the Hydro flag is postmarked 1906. This Hotel was later renamed the Grand Hotel and was owned by Butlins in later years until it was sold and emolished to make way for flats.