Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Friday, 5 December 2008

Margate sea shells



Having a trawl through old TDC documents, which is a pastime of us bloggers . I came across a paragraph I found of some interest. It appears TDC are the owners on our behalf of 17,000 sea shells from areas around the world. This collection was once in display in the old Margate Library in Victoria Road and belonged to the Borough of Margate Town Council. This came about when the Library and Museums collection was divided up between TDC and KCC during the 1974 local government reorganisation and TDC inherited the shells.

According to this document the shell collection is known as the "Cobb Shell Collection" and is on loan to the Powell-Cotton Museum. I have only ever seen a few decorated shells in the Margate Museum so I assume the shells are still at the Powell -Cotton museum.

TDC has no Councillors on the Quex Trust at the moment and because I have been refused a list of the Margate collection under the Freedom of Information Act by TDC it will mean further research. Unless there is someone in blog space who can throw light on the subject.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony

This substantial collection of shells, which were last housed in the Tudor House, was transferred to Quex by the old TDC Museums Officer, pre. 1994.

Enquiries as to the status of the 'loan' would have to be made.

I think the cameo carvings and one or two shell valentines (in apalling condition) in the office in the Tudor House are all that is left in Margate Museum's hands.

Bertie Biggles said...

I think Cllr Moores is still a TDC Trustee? I could be wrong?

Tony Beachcomber said...

Anon 22:42 , thank you for sharing that information. I must say it was a good job the TDC Museums Officer transferred them to Quex House, I wonder if each one was itemised, if so the volume of paperwork must be collosal if the paperwork I have is correct. Considering the numbering system of the TDC museum collection has changed in recent years it will be interesting to see if the collection is on the data base.

Bertie, I will email one of the TDC ex trustees. I have someone in mind.