Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Tuesday, 2 December 2008

Margate Droit House postcards mid 1950's












The amount of postcards produced of the entrance to Margate Harbour and the Jetty probably equal those produced of the Clocktower. These two postcards are post 1953 , the black and white one clearly shows the new lighthouse that replacing the one destroyed in the storm of early February 1953 when the foundations gave way. there is a lot of detail in the black and white one, such as the New Golden Spray , Jack Pocock's pleasure boat is tied up on end. The Harbour crane is operational and it appears Uncle Eric is appearing at the end of the pier for kids from the poster on the wall of the Droit House.
The brown monochrome postcard captures the Sunbeam kiosk on the Jetty entrance and the laid back life of the Jetty entrance 1950's style.I not sure if the boat leaving the Jetty is the Royal Daffodil or not, but I am sure someone will correct me.


2 comments:

Peter Checksfield said...

Tony, I don't know if it's just me, but for some reason the postcards aren't enlarging when I click on them.

Keep up the good work! I always read & enjoy these posts.

Tony Beachcomber said...

Peter, haven't a clue what went wrong, but I will put them on again plus some more.