These two engravings are what the cliff face on the Turner Centre site would have looked like in the 1830's. The top engraving titled " No mans' land of Margate Sand" by J . Shury and published by John Denne in 1832, is of the original Fort Point. The Chalk stack was once an cave then an arch which has collapsed to become a stack. The chalk stack in the print looks familiar to the chalk stack we see at Botany Bay today. The arch at Botany Bay also started as a cave , became an arch and collapsed in the storm of January 1978. Below is a picture of the cave at Botany Bay
before it ended up as a arch then a stack.
The second engraving is a well known classic of the area called Fort Rock with the Holy Trinity Church and Cobb's chimney in the background. The mast on the cliff top was a popular spot for artists who studied the view of the Harbour, Jetty and Sunsets over the bay.