Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Thursday, 4 September 2008

Keep the home fires burning

As we enter into Autumn I have started to map out the area of sand around the East Pier and the Ramsgate main sands low water mark. The objective to work out where things are deposited on the beach by the wind and tide for future reference. Pictured is the sea coal I found for the month of August. The origins of sea coal down South are varied and I doubt if any of what I have found has come from a natural source. Sea coal in general comes from ship wrecks, spillage while unloading or jettison when a vessels runs aground .
Up North gathering sea coal is an enterprise due to the volumes washed up from natural resources and people use it as fuel and there are some good articles on the subject on the internet. Down south the volumes of sea coal are of no commercial interest and as far as I know the only person in Ramsgate who burns it is my neighbour, and that is only because I haven't got a coal fire.
As a beachcomber sea coal is important as it is an indicator to finding Amber and many other interesting things can be found in the same line as sea coal.

2 comments:

Matt B said...

I had not realised up to this moment how interesting beach combing might potentially be. With the old credit crunch deepening such skills as beach combing might be part of the answer for the inventive local.

Tony Beachcomber said...

Here's one for you Matt, after a strong Northerely wind in the winter there are hundreds of aluminium cans washed up amongst the seaweed. Crushed and free of debris a large bin bag full works out at £5 if sold to one of the Ramsgate scrappies, for some reason Margate scrappies pay less.
I can easily do 4 bags a tide.