Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Wednesday, 18 June 2008

Margate Town Silver

Here is a little story from the Thanet political scene in the mid nineties. It was 1995 and the labour party had taken full control of the Margate Charter Trustees for the first time, the new Mayor had been installed and we as charter trustees decided to have a root and branch audit of what we were responsible for. The insurance on the town silver and the Mayors gold chain needed to be upped, so a complete audit was done. A report soon came back and informed members that 2 small silver cups were missing, straight away the assumption was that some toe rag of a tory councillor in a previous administration had nicked it. Why the full investigation and enquiries were taking place the collection had been sent to B.N Carthew for repairs, cleaning and valuation.
Then came a telephone call from B.N Carthew they had taken the lid off one of the large silver cups and found 2 small cups inside.
The moral of the story is never accuse a councillor of any party of anything unless you have absolute proof.

4 comments:

Rick said...

The moral of the story is get a better audit.

I had a letter from the Pilgrims Hospices today Tony. My memory is appalling. I think I sent them some money over my bet with Simon Moores a while back that I could get moderated off a Thanet blog faster etc.

Then I put in a comment and removed it myself.

Anyway as you would expect I have put David Davis a few pointers on the Downing Street petitions site.

And you may even feel like signing up ?

uphold Magna Carta and have an honest debate

Best wishes

Tony Beachcomber said...

Rick, they did and found a load of silver spoons missing.When they called a meeting over a cup of tea in the committee room to discuss the missing spoons. Guess what I was stirring my tea with, yes you got it a missing silver spoon.

ps I signed it.

Anonymous said...

Tony,

You are talking #######, I was involved in the investigation

YOUR uNCLE

Tony Beachcomber said...

The spoons or the cups ?