Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Thursday, 29 May 2008

Margate Harbour finds.

When it comes to finding things in Margate Harbour I can put my hand on my heart and with all sincerity and say been it, dug it and found it. Since I was a small boy I have aways kept a watchful eye over the Harbour looking for anything historical I can find.
The arm of the Harbour has shielded layers of history in the silt from the ravages of the sea for centuries, the only problem is the constantly silting harbour is keeping it buried.
Personally I believe some parts of the Harbour if accessible are on par with the Thames embankment and like the Thames mudlarks I know where to go looking. It is hard work and I have built up a collection over the years and some of my finds are on display in the Margate Museum and a small amount like Amber and weird things in the Grotto.
Pictured in the palm of my hand is perhaps one of the most common finds to be found in any old working harbour, broken clay pipe bowls.

No comments: