Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Thursday, 29 May 2008

Margate Harbour Arm

It was so refreshing walking along Margate Harbour and seeing the changes taking place. After years of restricted access and nothing going on , I was just pleased to see something happening.
The harbour is still a little rough around the edges but that is the way things are when something is constructed to work against the elements. Personally I think the whole concept has every chance of success, and can even more successful if it can recapture the maritime charm the harbour once had.
This postcard dated May 1907 is very much a artistic view of Margate Harbour as a working harbour, one of many in my collection.

6 comments:

Fiona said...

Lovely picture. Did you see the ones on show on the Harbour Arm at the weekend? Old photos of the harbour from about 1912 to 1953 I think, kindly given to us by Margate Historical Society. They are still up inside one of the units - we could open it up if people are interested.

Peter Checksfield said...

I took a stroll along there yesterday & was mostly impressed, but I hope they quickly remove those wooden cycle / skateboard ramps: not only was I dodging half a doxen cyclists flying through the air, but I suspect that doing this so near the water &/or a long drop might have health & safety issues.

Tony Beachcomber said...

Fiona, It wouldn't take too much effort to produce a history fact sheet and putting together exhibits.

Tony Beachcomber said...

Peter, I wondered what the wooden ramps were for, I thought they were a bit on the high side for skateboards.

Fiona said...

The ramps were for BMX and skateboard demos on Saturday but they guy in charge wanted to use them for a few days. All the BMXers signed waivers so no problem H&S wise but we have removed them now anyway as the rain had made them rather unsafe. It was great while it lasted - they really had fun.
I'll see what I can do about making a little exhibition.

Tony Beachcomber said...

Fiona, those guys have certainly got some guts hitting them ramps with skateboards.