Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Wednesday, 26 March 2008

The Broadstairs Bomb

The Broadstairs "bomb" really gave Broadstairs a bit of limelight in what was a dreary easter weekend. On reading the news on teletext it did make me chuckle as I remembered when I once found a mortar bomb bomb in Viking bay many years ago on the low water mark. I found the mortar at the start of a very promising metal detecting session so instead of reporting it I picked it up and placed it further up the beach with the intention of giving the authorities a bell when I finished metal detecting. Somehow I totaly forgot all about it, and it wasn't until I got home and heard it on the news that the beach had been evacuated I remembered. How could I be so forgetful ?
But then finding mortar bombs is no big deal. When I first started metal detecting it was not unusual to find mortar bombs on the coastline, I reckon I must have found well over 40 over a period of 30 years.There are 2 sorts, smoke and HE. The smoke mortars are nothing more than a spent firework and resemble the real thing except there are four holes by the fin and they are harmless. The HE are distinctive by their weight and there are no holes by the tail fin, I have found only 3 of them in the past and they were dealt with by the authorities straight away except for the one at Broadstairs.

No comments: