Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Monday, 30 July 2007

The cave under the Captain Digby

I recently received a email from David Chamberlain regarding his beach combing experiences. I found it a very interesting account, especially his reference to the Cave under the Captain Digby. My own association with the cave was in the summer of 1998 when the back of the cave collapsed leaving a hole in the Captain Digby carpark. It appeared that the hole was the site of the entrance to the back of the cave, sometime in the 1880's the entrance was filled in with Victorian domestic waste. The development of the Captain Digby car park finally capped the entrance sealing in the Victorian waste. Over the years various collapses within the cave exposed bottles and earthenware, both broken and complete in the spoil heap .

I understand from various sources that the collapse began after the January 1978 storm and since then many artefact's have been found.

My finds are mainly bottles and artefact's from the 1998 collapse. They have been given to the Dickens House Museum and added to my bottle collection on display in the Margate Museum. I gave the Drapers Mill collection the ink earthenware's I found.

3 comments:

Thanet Blog List said...

Congratulations, you have been added to the Thanet Blog List.


Keep up the good work and pop along and check out Thanet's other blogs.

Camiseta Personalizada said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Tony Beachcomber said...

That's fine mate,add it to your roll.